Responsible Official: Enterprise CIO and Sr. Vice Provost for Library Services and Digital Scholarship
Administering Division/Department: LITS: Library & IT Services
Effective Date: March 31, 2007
Last Revision: March 13, 2016
This policy applies to anyone who connects a computer or networked device to the Emory Residential Network: ResNet.
Restrictions on ResNet Usage
Computers connected to ResNet are not allowed to function as servers to systems outside the Emory network. Because of a multitude of computer security concerns, including viruses, worms and other types of vulnerabilities, restrictions have been implemented to prevent external computers from initiating connections to computers or networked devices connected to the ResNet network.
Outbound connections from ResNet to either Internet resources or other Emory systems are only restricted for specific security reasons. Users on ResNet are still able to send and receive email across the Internet, browse the Web, and download applications or files. Security restrictions may block attempts to leverage software exploits, deny access to websites that distribute malicious software, or prevent communications with systems suspected of being malicious in nature. Additional restrictions may be implemented in response to security incidents or evolving threats.
In accordance with Emory’s Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Policy, network traffic from peer-to-peer file sharing software is blocked between all Emory networks and the Internet, including ResNet.
Use of ResNet must also be in alignment with all other Emory policies, including the Information Technology Conditions of Use and Connecting to the Emory Data Network. These policies include restrictions such as prohibitions against extending the Emory network with a wireless access point or switch, not using the network for unethical or illegal purposes, and not using the network in a way that interferes with Emory’s mission or operations.
While a best effort is made to accommodate non-academic uses of ResNet and Emory’s Internet connection, priority is given to usage that is in alignment with Emory’s mission and supporting functions. This may mean that certain network usage is restricted to ensure adequate features, bandwidth and security are available to support Emory’s academic, extracurricular, and business functions.
Requirements for Connecting to ResNet
Before connecting a computer to the Emory Residential Network (ResNet), both for the safety of the network and for the protection of computers and data, the following criteria must be met:
- Emory University provided anti-virus software must be installed on your computer and be configured to automatically update its signature files and to scan for viruses on a regular basis (daily or weekly). The approved anti-virus software for supported operating systems is available on Software Express at software.emory.edu/express.
- Computers must have the latest critical patches and updates installed for both the operating system and other software (web browsers, file viewers, etc.).
- Users must have strong account passwords in order to avoid unwanted hacks and misuse of computers by others.
- Users must authenticate to ResNet using their Network ID and password and must register each device before it may be used on ResNet. For most devices, registration can be accomplished via the device’s web browser. Manual registration options are available for other devices.
- Failure to comply with Emory’s Resnet Policies may result in:
- Removal of inappropriate material from the relevant IT resources;
- Suspension or termination of access;
- Disciplinary actions (up to and including termination of employment) in accordance with applicable university policy;
- Civil or criminal prosecution.
- Current Version of This Policy: http://policies.emory.edu/5.6
- Software Express (http://software.emory.edu/express)
- Peer-to-Peer File Sharing (http://policies.emory.edu/5.7 )
- Information Technology Conditions of Use (http://policies.emory.edu/5.1)
- Connecting to the Emory Data Network (http://policies.emory.edu/5.4)
- Password Rules and Tips (http://it.emory.edu/security/passwords.html)
Subject Contact Phone Clarification of policy Brad Sanford 404-727-2630 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Version Published on: Mar 13, 2016 (Removed references to Emory Online media)
- Version Published on: Mar 15, 2011 (Updated to reflect current operational practices)
- Version Published on: Jan 18, 2011 (Updated to remove outdated departmental names (such as AAIT).)
- Version Published on: Mar 29, 2007 (Original Publication)