Responsible Official: VP for Human Resources
Administering Division/Department: Employee Relations
Effective Date: August 31, 2009
Last Revision: July 05, 2012
Emory places great importance on promoting and maintaining a climate of open communication and mutual trust between employees and leadership. This policy provides for timely resolution of employee problems, misunderstandings, and complaints while allowing sufficient time for fact finding and clarification. No employee will be reprimanded, harassed, or retaliated against for utilizing the policy. This open door policy is not a substitute for the University’s Equal Opportunity and Discriminatory Harassment Policy.
All active regular and temporary employees.
RESPONSIBILITIES UNDER THE OPEN DOOR POLICY:
If an employee has employment-related concerns, s/he may wish to discuss them with her/his supervisor. If the employee believes that such a conversation would not be productive, or if s/he has attempted to address the concern directly with her/his supervisor and the situation remains unresolved, s/he may contact their department Human Resources representative or the appropriate Employee Relations Director. .
Employee Relations representatives are available to meet with employees by calling (404) 727-7625.
The Employee Relations representative will assist the employee as reasonable and appropriate in resolving the concern. In reviewing the matter, the ER representativemay request,
· one or more meetings with the employee and/or supervisor;
· meetings with other members of the Employee Relations team;
· a review of relevant documents;
· other measures necessary for a full understanding of the situation.
A resolution may include,
· facilitated discussion(s) with the employee and the supervisor,
· recommendation for revision of current disciplinary measures,
· recommendation for revision of policy implementation within the unit; or
· other alternatives
The Employee Relations representative may also refer the employee to other Human Resources professionals for assistance as necessary and appropriate. The Employee Relations representative may refer the employee to the Office of Equal Opportunity Programs when appropriate.
The Employee Relations representative may consult with the employee’s department management after reviewing the facts.
At all times, the Employee Relations representative will participate as a neutral party and will maintain confidentiality to the greatest extent possible under the circumstances.
- Current Version of This Policy: http://policies.emory.edu/4.64
- Current Version of This Policy: http://policies.emory.edu/4.64 (http://)
Subject Contact Phone Associate Vice President, HR Del King 404-727-7567 firstname.lastname@example.org