Responsible Official: VP for Human Resources
Administering Division/Department: Benefits
Effective Date: March 29, 2007
Last Revision: January 06, 2009
Emory offers eligible employees the ability to continue certain benefit programs into retirement.
Those eligible include regular employees, principals and faculty who work at least 20 hours or more per workweek, and:
- Are at least age 55.
- Have at least 10 years of service of at least half time with breaks not to exceed a 12-month period or 24 month period if due to a reduction in force.
- Are retiring from a paid status or a disability Leave of Absence.
- Total years of age and service equal at least 75.
SICK LEAVE CREDIT
Employees who accrue sick leave can apply up to one year of accrued leave towards the service requirement. The leave will be applied on an hour-for-hour basis, i.e., eight hours of accrued sick leave equates to one day of service. For example, an employee age 56 with 18 years of service could add one year of accrued sick leave (2,080) to the service requirement to equal 75. (As faculty do not accrue sick leave, this credit does not apply.)
Benefit programs available to eligible retirees include:
- Health care coverage with the cost shared by Emory and the retiree for employees hired prior to January 1, 2003. For employees hired after December 31, 2002, health care coverage will be at full cost (no Emory subsidy).
- Basic Term Life Insurance coverage at $10,000 for retirees retiring from a regular full-time position; $5,000 for retirees retiring form a regular part-time position of at least 20 hours a week.
- Courtesy scholarship for retiree for undergraduate and graduate courses; spouse/same-sex domestic partner and eligible children for undergraduate courses only.
- Permanent Emory identification card.
- Full use of all University libraries and library search services.
- Continued access to the physical education center.
- Continued discounts on cultural/theater/ special event admission tickets.
- Access to all shopping discounts available to Emory employees.
- Access to certain discounted computer equipment and software available to all Emory employees.
- Invitation to Staff Fest for retired staff employees.
- Participation for retired faculty in University convocations and commencements.
- Inclusion of emeritus faculty in future editions of the campus phone directory.
- Access to the facilities and catering services of the Houston Mill House; retired faculty may participate in monthly faculty dinners and daily lunches.
- Access to Alumni University and Alumni Travel.
Retirees no longer receiving compensation from Emory, as well as retirees working part time with the University will receive free annual campus parking permits. Retirees rehired as fulltime employees with the University will be required to pay for parking on campus.
Emory maintains the right to modify or terminate any benefit plan or program and to terminate coverage for any retired employee or his/her dependents. Benefits are not guaranteed in the future for any group of employees, active or retired, or their dependents. Emory reserves the right to modify the plan provisions and cost of coverage for retired employees. Emory reserves the right to terminate, suspend, withdraw, amend or modify the Plan in whole or in part at any time. Further, Emory reserves the right to terminate or modify coverage for any group of employees, active or retired and their dependents or a class of dependents at any time.
- Current Version of This Policy: http://policies.emory.edu/4.24