Responsible Official: VP for Human Resources
Administering Division/Department: Recruiting
Effective Date: March 29, 2007
Last Revision: June 22, 2007
New employees and current employees who have changed to a benefit eligible status must attend an orientation session with Human Resources within 5 calendar days from the date of employment or change. Since employees pay a portion of their insurance premiums from the date of coverage, untimely participation in orientation could also result in payment of back premiums which could adversely impact an employee’s paycheck.
During orientation, employees will receive information about Emory’s organization, policies, services, facilities, safety plans and benefit programs. The various benefit programs offered by Emory will be explained and employees will be given an opportunity to enroll in the programs for which they are eligible.
Employees eligible to attend orientation are:
1. regular employees who are employed to work at least 20 hours per week.
2. temporary full-time employees who are employed to work for a period of at least 6 consecutive months.
Once an employee accepts a position eligible for benefits, the Human Resources representative or hiring official must contact the following Human Resources areas with notification of the hire date to schedule the employee for orientation:
1. Employment, if the employee was hired through open recruitment;
2. Compensation, if the employee was hired by administrative decision; or
3. Training, if the employee is a faculty member or hired in a temporary status.
Prior to the orientation session, a confirmation letter and benefits information will be mailed to each employee.
All appropriate new hire paperwork must be submitted to Employment ten days prior to the new employee's hire date. The Human Resources representative or hiring official is responsible for ensuring that employees attend the scheduled orientation session.
In addition to the general orientation provided by Human Resources, a departmental-specific orientation should be provided for new employees.
- Current Version of This Policy: http://policies.emory.edu/4.17