Responsible Official: Vice President for Finance/Chief Finance Officer
Administering Division/Department: Payroll
Effective Date: January 01, 2008
Last Revision: July 31, 2013
To provide timely and accurate payment of wages to employees, the Payroll Department requires employees to adhere to strict standards of accurate time keeping and attendance.
All bi-weekly employees and their supervisors including departmental Timekeepers.
The Payroll Department is responsible for processing all wages and salary payments and withholding proper taxes and setting up authorized deductions. This is facilitated through the Human Resources and KRONOS systems.
The University uses the Human Resources system to maintain all payroll, fringe benefit, and personnel information. The Human Resources system performs all gross-to-net calculations including computation of tax withholdings and most of the cost calculations for fringe benefits.
Hourly employees use KRONOS to track time and attendance. The KRONOS system is an automated time and attendance system for recording hours worked. KRONOS is maintained and administered by the Payroll Department.
Instructions for departmental Timekeepers to help non-exempt employees adhere to University policies for non-exempt employees are on the Human Resource website and through these links:
- Instructions for Bi-Weekly Employees
- Instructions for Student and Temporary Workers
- Instructions for Student Hires – HR system manager self-service
Instructions for Timekeepers are located in the training documentation that is handed out during the initial Timekeeper training class. Contact the Payroll Department with any questions or concerns.
Additionally, all Timekeepers are required to pass a test at the end of the training class. Only those who take the test and pass it will be allowed access to the system.
KRONOS: The timekeeping and attendance system used by the University for its hourly employees.
Timekeepers: Employees who have received special training on the timekeeping system and can provide assistance to employees within their own departments.
- Current Version of This Policy: http://policies.emory.edu/2.53
- Payroll Department: (https://www.finance.emory.edu/home/payroll/index.html)
- Human Resources System: (https://hrprod9.emory.edu/psp/hrprod9/?cmd=login&languageCd=ENG&)
- Human Resources: (http://emory.hr.emory.edu)
- Instructions for Bi-Weekly Employees: (http://www.hr.emory.edu/eu/docs/kronos-instructions-bi-weekly.pdf )
- Instructions for Student and Temporary Workers: (http://www.hr.emory.edu/eu/docs/kronos-instructions-students-temps.pdf)
- Instructions for Student Hires. OPUS (Online Pathway to University Students): (http://www.hr.emory.edu/eu/docs/kronos-instructions-students-temps.pdf)
Subject Contact Phone Timekeeping and KRONOS Payroll Department 404.727.6100 email@example.com Human Resources Customer Service 404.727.7600 N/A