Responsible Official: Vice President for Finance/Chief Finance Officer
Administering Division/Department: Payroll
Effective Date: March 20, 2007
Last Revision: March 29, 2007
Please read the Payment Services Employee Gift and Celebratory Events Policy for more information regarding taxability.
Some Examples of taxable gifts:
- Gift certificate of any amount.
- Gifts of tangible personal property greater than or equal to $75.
- Gifts of tangible personal property greater than $400 to a long-service or retired employee.
Important Items to Remember
- Notify the Payroll Department immediately, so that the value of the gift can be added to the employee’s taxable wages.
- The department awarding the gift(s) will need to contact Payroll with an email:
- The email should contain:
- Employee’s ID Number.
- Employee’s Record Number.
- The amount of the gift.
- Payroll will process the amount in the next available payroll run.
- The amount will show on the employee’s stub as Non-Cash Awards.
- The amount will be added to the employee’s Federal, State, OASDI and Medicare taxable wages.
- The appropriate OASDI and Medicare taxes will be deducted from the check.
- Contact Payroll via email as soon a possible. Keep payroll run datelines in mind before submitting your request.
- Contact the employee to let him or her know that there will be Non-Cash Awards on his or her next pay stub.
- Inform the employee about the taxes that will be withheld for OASDI and Medicare.
- Process the gift amount in the next available payroll cycle.
- Current Version of This Policy: http://policies.emory.edu/2.18
Subject Contact Phone Employee Gifts and Gift Certificates Payroll 404-727-6100 firstname.lastname@example.org
No previous versions of this policy were found.