Responsible Official: Vice President for Finance/Chief Finance Officer
Administering Division/Department: Payroll
Effective Date: January 01, 2008
Last Revision: July 31, 2013
This policy outlines process for the distribution of paper checks, deposit advices, and other items from the Payroll Department.
University policy requires direct deposit of pay for all employees either through electronic transfer to a financial institution or the CashPay program.
However, in some instances, new employees or employees in the process of changing banking relationships may need to receive a paper paycheck. Paper paychecks must be picked up at 1599 Clifton Road on or after the payroll check date. Paper paychecks are not available prior to the payroll check date.
The University does not allow for cash advances on salary.
All University employees, including new hire and rehire employees, must access their direct deposit advices via the PeopleSoft system.
Employees who do not have access to a computer and would like to request that their paper pay advice to be forwarded to their dept. Human Resource Rep via interoffice mail must complete the Paper Pay Advice Renewal Request and forward it to the Payroll Department. Employees may also go online via the PeopleSoft system to request the paper advice.
Paychecks are available to employees on the following schedule:
· Monthly employees are paid on the last working day of each month.
· Bi-weekly employees are paid every other Friday, six days after the pay period ends.
Exception: If a payday falls on a University scheduled holiday, payday will be the preceding workday, unless otherwise specified.
From time to time it may be necessary to request On-Demand Checks (ODC) from the Payroll Department. Some of these reasons include:
1. Employees who were not paid or who are missing a portion of their pay due to late paperwork or timekeeping error, which causes them to be in financial difficulty.
2. Terminations where the University and the employee are best served by settling all issues prior to the next scheduled payroll pay date.
3. Checks that are lost. (Checks must be lost for three business days after the pay date and the Payroll Department must confirm the stop payment request with the University bank.)
4. Automated Clearing House (ACH) (electronic transfer of funds) rejections due to closed accounts or invalid banking information.
Because of the nature of these requests, and in part to deter them, there will be an additional charge of $100.00 per check to process them.
On-Demand Checks will not be processed on the day of scheduled payroll processing and are only processed on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Requests must be received at the Payroll Department by 9:30 a.m. to be processed on the same day. ODCs will generally be ready by 1:00 p.m. ACH/Direct Deposit is not available for ODC processing.
There are other methods of processing payroll checks out of cycle which do not incur any additional charges. Extra payments can be added to a regularly scheduled payroll run for both bi-weekly and monthly employees at no charge.
Payroll processing days occur approximately every fifteen days for both monthly and bi-weekly pay periods. For monthly employees, the Payroll Department processes a mid-month run as well as at the end of the month, and bi-weekly runs occur every two weeks. Only checks requested outside of these scheduled payroll processing dates will be subject to the $100.00 fee.
The Payroll Calendar is on the Finance website.
Direct Deposit: Payroll directly deposits an employee’s paycheck into their bank or other financial institution.
CashPay: An alternative form of direct deposit. It is a debit card that acts like a checking account.
On-Demand Check: Check requested to be processed by the Payroll Department outside of the scheduled processing calendar. There is a $100.00 fee for these checks which are processed on Mondays, Wednesdays. and Fridays. All ODCs must be picked up at 1599 Clifton Road.
PeopleSoft System: The system used by the Payroll Department and Human Resources to pay salaries and wages to employees in an accurate and timely manner. The system also provides information for managerial purposes.
- Current Version of This Policy: http://policies.emory.edu/2.12
- Payroll Department: (https://www.finance.emory.edu/home/payroll/index.html)
- PeopleSoft System: (https://hrprod9.emory.edu/psp/hrprod9/?cmd=login)
- Paper Pay Advice Renewal Request: (https://www.finance.emory.edu/home/payroll/forms1/Paper_Pay_Advice_Request.pdf)
- Payroll Calendar: (https://www.finance.emory.edu/home/payroll/index.html)
Subject Contact Phone Paper Paychecks, Deposit Advice and On-Demand Checks Payroll Department 404.727.6100 email@example.com