Responsible Official: Vice President for Finance/Chief Finance Officer
Administering Division/Department: Procurement Services
Effective Date: April 01, 2010
Last Revision: August 20, 2014
The purpose of this document is to provide guidelines for telecommunication costs when traveling on behalf of the University.
The Travel Policies apply to faculty, staff, students, and non-employees traveling on behalf of the University and seeking reimbursement or payment for travel-related expenses from Emory University funds, regardless of the funding source.
It is the responsibility of Emory travelers to keep telecommunication costs to a minimum when traveling on behalf of the University.
Higher Level Approver must ensure that:
- the traveler is aware of the Emory Travel Policy in advance of the travel;
- travel expenses were incurred while conducting authorized University business;
- travel expenses were necessary, reasonable and consistent with University policies and the
- stated business purpose;
- an expense report includes the required documentation; and
- travel expenses meet any and all Sponsored Program guidelines, if applicable.
1) Travelers will not be reimbursed for calls or texts made on personal cellular phones while traveling. If a traveler is using a personal cellular phone, most plans are based on a set number of minutes and texts and the individual will only incur a cost when he/she exceeds the pre-determined number of plan minutes. Emory will not reimburse for these exceeded minutes or texts unless there are exceptional circumstances.
Monthly service fees for personal cellular phones are not reimbursable unless pre-approved by the department.
2) Subject to department approval, travelers not using cell phones (personal or Emory-provided) will be reimbursed for necessary and reasonable personal telephone calls allowing them to stay in contact with family and business calls.